Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thankful

Today I am thankful for many things. One of the top things on my list is family.

One of my little people is celebrating a birthday this week, and we are so very thankful for him.

Thanksgiving is often a time of reflection. When I was growing up, my granny had a tradition that she called "pass the corn." She'd place dried corn kernels in a dish, pass it around the table, and have everyone say out loud, what they were thankful for. Usually she'd ask us to say something nice about the person sitting next to you as well. This year, as in the past 10 years since I've moved away, I missed out on that little tradition.

As our extended family grows, so does the distance between each of us. (I do have two dozen cousins, after all.) And although we are all spread out, don't always keep in touch, and too often miss or forget the details of each others lives, we are still family. We still care about each other. We rejoice, weep,mourn, and celebrate with one another. Especially this time of year.

So, whether you are celebrating this thanks-filled holiday alone, with a small group, or a large one, be happy.You are privileged if you have an abundance of food on your table, a comfortable bed, warm clothes, along with all the other American amenities and freedoms that we take for granted. There are so many others in the world who don't have as much. These are the people I am thinking of tonight.

Take care.
Drive safely, everyone.

No comments: